Student Media at Southern Vermont College

The Looking Glass

Filed under Paintings

Alexia Najman Showcase

Series 1

About the Artist:

Alexia Najman (Creative Writing & English, Class of 2018) recognized her passion for drawing in third grade, when she was introduced to Japanese Anime styles.  Drawing and painting for her are things to get lost in, where she blissfully forgets the time. Working first in black pens and stamp patterns, she moved starkly to color and paints after starting college, where she became inspired by intensely color-centric artists Gustav Klimt and Benjamin Zhang Bin.  Faces and human forms are her favorite subjects, honoring the uniqueness of every person — “People are always changing, and you can capture the change in art.” In the spirit of constant change, Alexia claims never to like her work until it is completely finished, as she never truly knows what it will be until the end.

This whimsical and fluid series reflects her recent dive into color, with a reticence to use black and a full splash into swirls and surprising color combinations.  It is, she says, “the most fun [she’s] had with colors,” something different from her usual domain of portrait works.

lexi_post-1

lexi_-2

lexi_3

lexi_4

lexi_5

1 Comment

One Response to “Alexia Najman Showcase”

1. Dana Ehninger on October 24th, 2016 10:04 pm

Alexia’s compositions are very rhythmic and fluid, perfectly married with the medium. This work feels gestural, like a fresh color study of pattern emotion?

Wonderful work, great to see new designs and always new ideas coming from such a talented and inspiring, intelligent artist! Keep it coming!

All my best, always,
    Dana

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com